Exporting Vehicles to Canada

Print This Post Print This Post

By: Autumn Banks

canadian carAre you exporting a used self-propelled vehicle to Canada? Did you know that you are now required to file export information on your vehicle to the Automated Export System (AES)?

Do you need help understanding this new requirement? Well, we are here to HELP!

Wait! I thought most shipments to Canada were exempt from filing?

It all started March 14, 2013, when we published a new requirement that you must file used self-propelled vehicles in the AES 72 hours prior to export, no matter the value or country of ultimate destination (including Canada). This requirement went into effect April 5, 2014.

Note: U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) considers a vehicle to be “used” if the legal title of the vehicle is transferred by the manufacturer, distributor or dealership to the purchaser of the vehicle.

Ok… So what am I required to do?

U.S. Citizens, U.S. Residents or U.S. Companies

If you are a U.S. resident or U.S. company exporting a used self-propelled vehicle to Canada, you have TWO filing options:

Option 1*

1. Obtain an Employee Identification Number (EIN) or DUNS number
  2. Register for AESDirect (if you do not have your own AES software)
  3. File export information on your vehicle
  4. Receive your Internal Transaction Number (ITN)

Option 2*

1. Obtain an Employee Identification Number (EIN) or DUNS number
  2. Select and authorize a U.S. agent (i.e. Freight Forwarder, Broker, etc.) to file export information to the AES on your behalf
  3. Obtain the ITN from the authorized agent

*For vehicle shipments, be sure to submit your export information to the AES and provide CBP with your ITN 72 hours prior to export.

Non U.S. Residents or Foreign Companies ONLY

Foreign persons visiting the U.S. cannot register to file through AES or AESDirect. Therefore, non-U.S. residents must:

1. Select and authorize a U.S. agent (i.e. Freight Forwarder, Broker, etc.) to file export information to the AES on your behalf
  2. Provide the U.S. agent with your foreign passport number (instead of an EIN) and other mandatory data elements
  3. Obtain the ITN from the authorized agent

To find a U.S. agent or freight forwarder, simply use an internet search engine to locate one.

If you have questions regarding the new requirement, please contact the Regulations, Outreach, and Education Branch at 1-800-549-0595, option #3 or e-mail ftdregs@census.gov.

(Visited 1,544 times, 1 visits today)
This entry was posted in Foreign Trade Regulations and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Exporting Vehicles to Canada

1. James Sull says:

New regulation requires we obtain EIN and fle AESDIRECT. My sole purpose of having to obtain an EIN is to take my car with me to Canada when I move, I am not in business of any sort. And when you apply for EIN, some of the business related questions are not applicable to me. Does anyone have experience with this new regulation who can help me? One more thing, I hope there are no tax complication for obtaining EIN because this one transaction of taking my car to Canada with me when I move is the only transaction I’ll have. Thanks

2. Global Reach Sean says:

@James Sull
    Step by step instructions on how to obtain an EIN can be found on our website at http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/regulations/. When applying you would list yourself as a sole proprietorship. The IRS is aware that EINs are used for AES filings and obtaining one will not impact your tax status.

3. jack says:

I live in Canada, a family member in NJ is gifting me a 2004 car.
    the Buffalo Vinny office said
    -file AES and obtain an ITN
    being Canadian, can I do this, or does my brother in law, being American.

• Global Reach Daniel says:

@Jack,
      As a Canadian, you must authorized a US agent (e.g. US resident, US citizen or freight forwarder) to file export information in the AES on your behalf. Since your brother-in-law is a US citizen, he can file on your behalf but you must provide him with written authorization.

4. Curious George says:

If you’re moving to Canada and plan on driving your vehicle there, is this still considered an export even though the car is not being sold and the title is not being transfered?

Are used vehicles no longer eligible for the low value exemption since the regulations requires it to be filed in AES regardless of value?

• josefina.hicho says:

@ Curious George,
      Yes, even though your car is not being sold and the title is not being transferred the car must be filed. All exports of Used Self Propelled vehicles REGARDLESS of value must be filed in the AES.

5. Rod says:

Hi, I am a US citizen moving to Canada and will be exporting/importing our 2 personal vehicles with us, I understand I need to hve an ITN number to export the cars. I do own a production company, and the company has an EIN and DUNS number but those numbers are associated with the company and not a personal EIN number. For the purpose of exporting my vehicals can I use those numbers even though the company does not own the cars?
    Thanks
    Rod

• josefina.hicho says:

@Rod,
      If the company is not the USPPI, meaning the owner of the car, you can not use their EIN to file in the AES.
      You can find step by step instructions on how to obtain an EIN on our website at http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/regulations/.