Exporting Vehicles to Canada

Print This Post Print This Post

By: Autumn Banks

canadian carAre you exporting a used self-propelled vehicle to Canada? Did you know that you are now required to file export information on your vehicle to the Automated Export System (AES)?

Do you need help understanding this new requirement? Well, we are here to HELP!

Wait! I thought most shipments to Canada were exempt from filing?

It all started March 14, 2013, when we published a new requirement that you must file used self-propelled vehicles in the AES 72 hours prior to export, no matter the value or country of ultimate destination (including Canada). This requirement went into effect April 5, 2014.

Note: U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) considers a vehicle to be “used” if the legal title of the vehicle is transferred by the manufacturer, distributor or dealership to the purchaser of the vehicle.

Ok… So what am I required to do?

U.S. Citizens, U.S. Residents or U.S. Companies

If you are a U.S. resident or U.S. company exporting a used self-propelled vehicle to Canada, you have TWO filing options:

Option 1*

1. Obtain an Employee Identification Number (EIN) or DUNS number
  2. Register for AESDirect (if you do not have your own AES software)
  3. File export information on your vehicle
  4. Receive your Internal Transaction Number (ITN)

Option 2*

1. Obtain an Employee Identification Number (EIN) or DUNS number
  2. Select and authorize a U.S. agent (i.e. Freight Forwarder, Broker, etc.) to file export information to the AES on your behalf
  3. Obtain the ITN from the authorized agent

*For vehicle shipments, be sure to submit your export information to the AES and provide CBP with your ITN 72 hours prior to export.

Non U.S. Residents or Foreign Companies ONLY

Foreign persons visiting the U.S. cannot register to file through AES or AESDirect. Therefore, non-U.S. residents must:

1. Select and authorize a U.S. agent (i.e. Freight Forwarder, Broker, etc.) to file export information to the AES on your behalf
  2. Provide the U.S. agent with your foreign passport number (instead of an EIN) and other mandatory data elements
  3. Obtain the ITN from the authorized agent

To find a U.S. agent or freight forwarder, simply use an internet search engine to locate one.

If you have questions regarding the new requirement, please contact the Regulations, Outreach, and Education Branch at 1-800-549-0595, option #3 or e-mail ftdregs@census.gov.

(Visited 3,297 times, 2 visits today)
This entry was posted in Foreign Trade Regulations and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Exporting Vehicles to Canada

1. James Sull says:

New regulation requires we obtain EIN and fle AESDIRECT. My sole purpose of having to obtain an EIN is to take my car with me to Canada when I move, I am not in business of any sort. And when you apply for EIN, some of the business related questions are not applicable to me. Does anyone have experience with this new regulation who can help me? One more thing, I hope there are no tax complication for obtaining EIN because this one transaction of taking my car to Canada with me when I move is the only transaction I’ll have. Thanks

2. Global Reach Sean says:

@James Sull
    Step by step instructions on how to obtain an EIN can be found on our website at http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/regulations/. When applying you would list yourself as a sole proprietorship. The IRS is aware that EINs are used for AES filings and obtaining one will not impact your tax status.

3. jack says:

I live in Canada, a family member in NJ is gifting me a 2004 car.
    the Buffalo Vinny office said
    -file AES and obtain an ITN
    being Canadian, can I do this, or does my brother in law, being American.

• Global Reach Daniel says:

@Jack,
      As a Canadian, you must authorized a US agent (e.g. US resident, US citizen or freight forwarder) to file export information in the AES on your behalf. Since your brother-in-law is a US citizen, he can file on your behalf but you must provide him with written authorization.

4. Curious George says:

If you’re moving to Canada and plan on driving your vehicle there, is this still considered an export even though the car is not being sold and the title is not being transfered?

Are used vehicles no longer eligible for the low value exemption since the regulations requires it to be filed in AES regardless of value?

• josefina.hicho says:

@ Curious George,
      Yes, even though your car is not being sold and the title is not being transferred the car must be filed. All exports of Used Self Propelled vehicles REGARDLESS of value must be filed in the AES.

5. Rod says:

Hi, I am a US citizen moving to Canada and will be exporting/importing our 2 personal vehicles with us, I understand I need to hve an ITN number to export the cars. I do own a production company, and the company has an EIN and DUNS number but those numbers are associated with the company and not a personal EIN number. For the purpose of exporting my vehicals can I use those numbers even though the company does not own the cars?
    Thanks
    Rod

• josefina.hicho says:

@Rod,
      If the company is not the USPPI, meaning the owner of the car, you can not use their EIN to file in the AES.
      You can find step by step instructions on how to obtain an EIN on our website at http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/regulations/.

6. Rob D says:

Hello, Hope you can help me. I am Canadian living in Canada. We own a home in the USA as well. In 2002 we purchased a new SUV. In 2011 we built a home in S.C. and exported our SUV from Canada into the USA where it was registered and tagged. We would now like to bring the SUV back to Canada for our son to drive. The ownership/registration has always remained in my name. I will be driving the vehicle back to Canada myself. Other then providing Canadian Customs the correct documentation is there anything else I need/have to do when I leave the USA and drive across the border. If so please advise the business hours of the Lewiston or Peace Bridge offices where I plan to cross.
    Regards
    Rob

7. Amy Gabriel says:

To whom it may concern,

I am a U.S. Citizen currently working in Canada. I am purchasing a new vehicle and will need to take it to Canada. It will also be leased in the U.S. I have the permission letter to take it to Canada, Bill of sale, and VIN number.

I do not understand the AES direct website to get an EEI number. I am not a business or a auto company that exports often. I am an individual importing a vehicle. I should not need to take an exam to sign up for an account to export my car. I need proper explanation of how an individual exports a car to import it into Canada.

Sincerely,

Amy B Gabriel

8. Osvaldo says:

Hi we are US Customs Brokers in Brownsville, Tx I need to know if we can issue a SED for Canadian vehicles in order to export to Mexico

greetings.

9. Global Reach Shannon says:

@ Amy Gabriel
    Great question! The Foreign Trade Regulations (FTR) were revised in March 2014,and as of October 3, 2014 the new rules requires exports of used-self propelled vehicles to be filed in the Automated Export System (AES) regardless of value or country of ultimate destination. As a U.S. citizen, you have two options to export your vehicle.

The first is to obtain an EIN from http://www.irs.gov, you will apply as a “Sole Proprietor.” Once you have the EIN, then you will create a free account with AES at aesdirect.census.gov, after completing a brief certification quiz. Once you gain access to the AES, you can file the shipment information about the vehicle and generate an Internal Transaction Number (ITN). This ITN must be provided to the Customs and Border Protection port of export 72 hours prior to export.

The second option is to have a U.S. authorized agent file on your behalf. The authorized agent will need information about the vehicle (VIN and title information), the U.S. port where it will be crossing into Canada, address of where the vehicle is coming from and where it is going to. Once the authorized agent files this information they will receive the ITN.

10. Cornelius says:

hi I bought me a 2005 Honda odyssey and I am a Canadian how can I import that car to Canada ??

11. Mike says:

I am a Canadian wanting to purchase a vehicle from an American through a personal transaction. My wife has an American company and I am able to create an AES account using the business number. As the administrator of the account will I then be permitted to submit an EEI on behalf of the U.S. seller?
    I have asked the seller to create an AES account but they believe it is too complicated.

12. Global Reach Shannon says:

@Dan & Cornelius, ​As of October 3, 2014, all shipments of used self-propelled vehicles must be filed in the Automated Export System (AES). As a Canadian citizen, you will need to authorize a U.S. agent to file in the AES on your behalf. Once your agent has submitted the necessary Electronic Export Information in the AES you will receive an Internal Transaction Number (ITN) verifying the submission. This ITN, as well as the vehicle’s Title and VIN, must be provided to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Port of Export 72 hours priors to exportation.

13. Global Reach Shannon says:

@Mike, ​​As of October 3, 2014, all shipments of used self-propelled vehicles must be filed in the Automated Export System (AES). As a Canadian citizen, you will need to authorize a U.S. agent to file in the AES on your behalf. The American company that your wife owns can be the authorized agent in this case. The American company will serve as the “Freight Forwarder” when filing in the Automated Export System. If you will be in the U.S. at the time the vehicle is purchased or obtained for export, you will be the U.S. Principal Party in Interest (USPPI) and your foreign passport number will be listed in the “USPPI ID” field of AES.​