Exporting Vehicles to Canada

Print This Post Print This Post

By: Autumn Banks

canadian carAre you exporting a used self-propelled vehicle to Canada? Did you know that you are now required to file export information on your vehicle to the Automated Export System (AES)?

Do you need help understanding this new requirement? Well, we are here to HELP!

Wait! I thought most shipments to Canada were exempt from filing?

It all started March 14, 2013, when we published a new requirement that you must file used self-propelled vehicles in the AES 72 hours prior to export, no matter the value or country of ultimate destination (including Canada). This requirement went into effect April 5, 2014.

Note: U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) considers a vehicle to be “used” if the legal title of the vehicle is transferred by the manufacturer, distributor or dealership to the purchaser of the vehicle.

Ok… So what am I required to do?

U.S. Citizens, U.S. Residents or U.S. Companies

If you are a U.S. resident or U.S. company exporting a used self-propelled vehicle to Canada, you have TWO filing options:

Option 1*

1. Obtain an Employee Identification Number (EIN) or DUNS number
  2. Register for AESDirect (if you do not have your own AES software)
  3. File export information on your vehicle
  4. Receive your Internal Transaction Number (ITN)

Option 2*

1. Obtain an Employee Identification Number (EIN) or DUNS number
  2. Select and authorize a U.S. agent (i.e. Freight Forwarder, Broker, etc.) to file export information to the AES on your behalf
  3. Obtain the ITN from the authorized agent

*For vehicle shipments, be sure to submit your export information to the AES and provide CBP with your ITN 72 hours prior to export.

Non U.S. Residents or Foreign Companies ONLY

Foreign persons visiting the U.S. cannot register to file through AES or AESDirect. Therefore, non-U.S. residents must:

1. Select and authorize a U.S. agent (i.e. Freight Forwarder, Broker, etc.) to file export information to the AES on your behalf
  2. Provide the U.S. agent with your foreign passport number (instead of an EIN) and other mandatory data elements
  3. Obtain the ITN from the authorized agent

To find a U.S. agent or freight forwarder, simply use an internet search engine to locate one.

If you have questions regarding the new requirement, please contact the Regulations, Outreach, and Education Branch at 1-800-549-0595, option #3 or e-mail ftdregs@census.gov.

(Visited 12,080 times, 80 visits today)
This entry was posted in Foreign Trade Regulations and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to Exporting Vehicles to Canada

1. James Sull says:

New regulation requires we obtain EIN and fle AESDIRECT. My sole purpose of having to obtain an EIN is to take my car with me to Canada when I move, I am not in business of any sort. And when you apply for EIN, some of the business related questions are not applicable to me. Does anyone have experience with this new regulation who can help me? One more thing, I hope there are no tax complication for obtaining EIN because this one transaction of taking my car to Canada with me when I move is the only transaction I’ll have. Thanks

2. Global Reach Sean says:

@James Sull
    Step by step instructions on how to obtain an EIN can be found on our website at http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/regulations/. When applying you would list yourself as a sole proprietorship. The IRS is aware that EINs are used for AES filings and obtaining one will not impact your tax status.

3. jack says:

I live in Canada, a family member in NJ is gifting me a 2004 car.
    the Buffalo Vinny office said
    -file AES and obtain an ITN
    being Canadian, can I do this, or does my brother in law, being American.

• Global Reach Daniel says:

@Jack,
      As a Canadian, you must authorized a US agent (e.g. US resident, US citizen or freight forwarder) to file export information in the AES on your behalf. Since your brother-in-law is a US citizen, he can file on your behalf but you must provide him with written authorization.

4. Curious George says:

If you’re moving to Canada and plan on driving your vehicle there, is this still considered an export even though the car is not being sold and the title is not being transfered?

Are used vehicles no longer eligible for the low value exemption since the regulations requires it to be filed in AES regardless of value?

• josefina.hicho says:

@ Curious George,
      Yes, even though your car is not being sold and the title is not being transferred the car must be filed. All exports of Used Self Propelled vehicles REGARDLESS of value must be filed in the AES.

5. Rod says:

Hi, I am a US citizen moving to Canada and will be exporting/importing our 2 personal vehicles with us, I understand I need to hve an ITN number to export the cars. I do own a production company, and the company has an EIN and DUNS number but those numbers are associated with the company and not a personal EIN number. For the purpose of exporting my vehicals can I use those numbers even though the company does not own the cars?
    Thanks
    Rod

• josefina.hicho says:

@Rod,
      You can find step by step instructions on how to obtain an EIN on our website at http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/regulations/.

6. Rob D says:

Hello, Hope you can help me. I am Canadian living in Canada. We own a home in the USA as well. In 2002 we purchased a new SUV. In 2011 we built a home in S.C. and exported our SUV from Canada into the USA where it was registered and tagged. We would now like to bring the SUV back to Canada for our son to drive. The ownership/registration has always remained in my name. I will be driving the vehicle back to Canada myself. Other then providing Canadian Customs the correct documentation is there anything else I need/have to do when I leave the USA and drive across the border. If so please advise the business hours of the Lewiston or Peace Bridge offices where I plan to cross.
    Regards
    Rob

7. Amy Gabriel says:

To whom it may concern,

I am a U.S. Citizen currently working in Canada. I am purchasing a new vehicle and will need to take it to Canada. It will also be leased in the U.S. I have the permission letter to take it to Canada, Bill of sale, and VIN number.

I do not understand the AES direct website to get an EEI number. I am not a business or a auto company that exports often. I am an individual importing a vehicle. I should not need to take an exam to sign up for an account to export my car. I need proper explanation of how an individual exports a car to import it into Canada.

Sincerely,

Amy B Gabriel

8. Osvaldo says:

Hi we are US Customs Brokers in Brownsville, Tx I need to know if we can issue a SED for Canadian vehicles in order to export to Mexico

greetings.

9. Global Reach Shannon says:

@ Amy Gabriel
    Great question! The Foreign Trade Regulations (FTR) were revised in March 2014,and as of October 3, 2014 the new rules requires exports of used-self propelled vehicles to be filed in the Automated Export System (AES) regardless of value or country of ultimate destination. As a U.S. citizen, you have two options to export your vehicle.

The first is to obtain an EIN from http://www.irs.gov, you will apply as a “Sole Proprietor.” Once you have the EIN, then you will create a free account with AES at aesdirect.census.gov, after completing a brief certification quiz. Once you gain access to the AES, you can file the shipment information about the vehicle and generate an Internal Transaction Number (ITN). This ITN must be provided to the Customs and Border Protection port of export 72 hours prior to export.

The second option is to have a U.S. authorized agent file on your behalf. The authorized agent will need information about the vehicle (VIN and title information), the U.S. port where it will be crossing into Canada, address of where the vehicle is coming from and where it is going to. Once the authorized agent files this information they will receive the ITN.

10. Cornelius says:

hi I bought me a 2005 Honda odyssey and I am a Canadian how can I import that car to Canada ??

11. Mike says:

I have asked the seller to create an AES account but they believe it is too complicated.

12. Global Reach Shannon says:

@Dan & Cornelius, ​As of October 3, 2014, all shipments of used self-propelled vehicles must be filed in the Automated Export System (AES). As a Canadian citizen, you will need to authorize a U.S. agent to file in the AES on your behalf. Once your agent has submitted the necessary Electronic Export Information in the AES you will receive an Internal Transaction Number (ITN) verifying the submission. This ITN, as well as the vehicle’s Title and VIN, must be provided to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Port of Export 72 hours priors to exportation.

13. Global Reach Shannon says:

@Mike, ​​As of October 3, 2014, all shipments of used self-propelled vehicles must be filed in the Automated Export System (AES). As a Canadian citizen, you will need to authorize a U.S. agent to file in the AES on your behalf. The American company that your wife owns can be the authorized agent in this case. The American company will serve as the “Freight Forwarder” when filing in the Automated Export System. If you will be in the U.S. at the time the vehicle is purchased or obtained for export, you will be the U.S. Principal Party in Interest (USPPI) and your foreign passport number will be listed in the “USPPI ID” field of AES.​

14. Frank says:

i would like to know the reason why a change was made as this make it much hard for any one looking to buy older car or truck i was looking for a 1963 pick up truck but now i question if i wand to have to deal with more and more paper work , get more persons working on my behalf. what was wrong with the old way of given 72 hrs before bring a car home to canada

​@Frank
      The reason for the change in the regulations surrounding used self-propelled vehicles to Canada arose from discussions between Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and the International Trade Management Division (ITMD) here at the Census Bureau. The goal is to decrease the number of stolen vehicles crossing the border by giving CBP the opportunity to inspect vehicles prior to exportation. Please feel free to contact the Trade Regulations Branch at ftdregs@census.gov or 1-800-549-0595, option 3, for further information.

15. Ali says:

My Canadian company import salvage vehicles from USA. Can I file with AESDirect after obtaining the EIN.

Thanks

• Global Reach Shannon says:

@Ali: For the filing of used self-propelled vehicles to Canada​, the party that files in AESDirect must be in the United States. In order to obtain an EIN, the party must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. Please feel free to contact us with any further questions.

16. Amit Mehta says:

Dear Global Reach,

I am Indian Citizen currently in USA on H1B VISA since last 7 years and now planning to move to Canada in about 2 months and need to take my recently purchased vehicle in Canada where i will be there for 15 months, will also have to register the CAR in Ontario as i will be resident of Ontario so have to register in 30 days moving there and then will be coming back to USA after 15 months in CANADA, I would like to know if i can apply for EIN on IRS website my self as i have SSN and everything which is require for TAX but i am not Green Card holder or Citizen.

Will IRS deny my application for EIN if i file it over their online tool and the only option for me to talk to US Brokers to get the ITN generated at their end behalf of me ? ?

17. Donna says:

We are Canadian and we have an ITIN with the IRS are we able to register with the AES direct with that number so we can register to bring our antique car that we have registered in Florida. (we own a home in Florida)

18. Global Reach Shannon says:

@Amit Mehta & @Donna: To register with AESDirect, you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. If you have permanent resident status, you will need to obtain an EIN (Employer Identification Number) from the IRS.

19. Fred says:

On Oct 19th, Rod wrote ” I do own a production company, and the company has an EIN and DUNS number but those numbers are associated with the company and not a personal EIN number. For the purpose of exporting my vehicle can I use those numbers even though the company does not own the cars?

On Dec 4th, Mike wrote, ” I am a Canadian wanting to purchase a vehicle from an American through a personal transaction. My wife has an American company and I am able to create an AES account using the business number. As the administrator of the account will I then be permitted to submit an EEI on behalf of the U.S. seller? ”

josefina.hicho responded on October 23, 2014 that, “If the company is not the USPPI, meaning the owner of the car, you can not use their EIN to file in the AES.”

Global Reach Shannon said on December 11, 2014 that ” ….. The American company that your wife owns can be the authorized agent in this case. The American company will serve as the “Freight Forwarder” when filing in the Automated Export System. If you will be in the U.S. at the time the vehicle is purchased or obtained for export, you will be the U.S. Principal Party in Interest (USPPI) and your foreign passport number will be listed in the “USPPI ID” field of AES.​”

Who’s correct?

• Global Reach Shannon says:

@Fred: Both responses that you are referencing are correct. One is talking about the USPPI’s ID, while the other is talking about the ID of the party doing to the filing in AES. An EIN has to be used to create an AES account. Once the AES account is created, the AES filer will submit information regarding the USPPI.​

20. Neil Dennison says:

Good Afternoon Global Reach

My question is in regards to temporary vehicle exports.

Is a new vehicle being exported from the U.S. into Canada for demonstration purposes required to be filed through AES? In other words, do the AES requirements apply in this case?

The exporter is a dealer of the vehicle and is only entering Canada for demonstration and will return back to the U.S.

• Global Reach Shannon says:

@Neil: The FTR exemption 30.37(q) for goods that are exported from and returned to the United States in less than one year form the date of export will apply, if the vehicle is entering Canada as a temporary export for demonstration purposes. The CBP regulations, 19 CFR 192.1, do not consider temporary exports as falling under the requirement to file used self-propelled vehicles as the goods will not enter the commerce of a foreign country.

21. Emile Campsall says:

I am a snow bird in New Mexico and asking the procedures if I purchased a motor home
    in USA to be able to enter it into Canada. I live in North Bay Ontario Canada.

• Global Reach Shannon says:

@Emile: If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident you can file your vehicle on your own through AESDirect. To register with AESDirect, you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. If you have permanent resident status, you will need to obtain an EIN (Employer Identification Number) from the IRS.​ You may also choose to select an authorized agent here in the U.S. to file on your behalf. Once your agent has submitted the necessary Electronic Export Information in the AES you will receive an Internal Transaction Number (ITN) verifying the submission. This ITN, as well as the vehicle’s Title and VIN, must be provided to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Port of Export 72 hours priors to exportation.

22. Sabrina says:

Hello,

I have a really confusing situation. Was living in the US on a TN visa where I purchased my car. Came home in December for the holidays and quit my job. I know the vehicle has to be in the US for 72 hours before it is exported. Once I bring my vehicle back the officer told me I can then start my export paperwork.

Do I need a broker to file on my behalf for AES or can I do it myself since I was on a TN VIsa living there? And if I can’t do it myself how much does a customs broker cost?

Any guidance is helpful, the officer on the phone said she would not help me until the vehicle is in the US.

• Global Reach Shannon says:

@Sabrina: For the filing of used self-propelled vehicles to Canada, the party that files in AESDirect must be in the United States, and be a U.S. citizen or permanent U.S. resident. If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you need to authorize a US agent to file on your behalf. The cost varies from agent to agent and I suggest you search on the internet for brokers or freight forwarders in your area. Please feel free to contact us at 800-549-0595, Option 3 if you have further questions.

23. ken pettman says:

Just wondering how you can drive a vehicle back to Canada if you have sent the title to the CBP point of entry. Do you not need to have the title with the car ?

• Global Reach Shannon says:

@Ken: A copy of the tile, along with the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number), and ITN (Internal Transaction Number), should all be sent electronically to the CBP port where the vehicle will be crossing into Canada.

24. Christopher says:

I am purchasing a 1987 RV in Florida and plan on driving it back to Windsor, Ontario via Detroit, Michigan. Is accessing AES direct system something that my seller can do? Do they register as an individual in EIN? It sounds fairly straightforward as it seems a matter of just registering the vehicle, seller and buyer to facilitate export. The seller may not have the computer requirements as outlined in your FAQ. Can they register at any terminal?

• Global Reach Shannon says:

@Christopher: The U.S. seller can register for AESDirect to complete the filing of the used self- propelled vehicle on your behalf. They would first need an EIN, as an individual they would register as a “Sole Proprietor” on the IRS website. Once the U.S. seller has submitted the necessary Electronic Export Information in the AES, you will receive an Internal Transaction Number (ITN) verifying the submission. The U.S. seller can register from their own personal computer through AESDirect. Please feel free to contact us with any further questions at 800-549-0595, Option 3.

25. Audrey says:

Hi,

I’m a canadian who lived in Ohio for 6 months, i bought a car in the U.S. and i want to drive it back to Canada. I actually have a very hard time to find a U.S. agent (Freight Fowarder or Broker ) who can help me to fill the required forms and finally have my ITN number. Reading the questions above, i think i understand that anyone who is a U.S. Citizen could subscribe to the AES and help me to get my ITN. Is that correct ?
    Thank you !

• Global Reach Shannon says:

@Audrey: You are correct that a U.S. citizen or permanent resident may file the vehicle in the AES in order for you to receive an ITN. Please feel free to contact us with any further questions at 800-549-0595, Option 3.

26. Liz says:

We are in the US temporarily (3 years, foreign military) and imported our vehicles. Obviously as we bring them back after this posting (to Canada), we are not stealing them. Are there no records of the imports that could negate this requirement or exemptions in this case?

• Global Reach Shannon says:

@Liz, As of October 3, 2014, all shipments of used self-propelled vehicles must be filed in the Automated Export System (AES). As a Canadian citizen, you will need to authorize a U.S. agent to file in the AES on your behalf. The American company that your wife owns can be the authorized agent in this case. The American company will serve as the “Freight Forwarder” when filing in the Automated Export System. If you will be in the U.S. at the time the vehicle is purchased or obtained for export, you will be the U.S. Principal Party in Interest (USPPI) and your foreign passport number will be listed in the “USPPI ID” field of AES.​

27. Paul says:

Hi there,
    Here is your skill testing question of the day :-)

I am a Canadian military officer currently serving on an exchange assignment with the US Armed forces. I have resided in the US for the past 3.5 years under authority of a NATO-2 Visa and I have a US SSN (valid for work only with DHS authorization). I am not a US citizen nor am I a permanent US resident.

I will be moving back to Canada this summer (on military orders) and bringing both of my personal vehicles back with me (both plated and registered here in US). Can I apply for an EIN and use AESDirect myself, or is my only option to use a broker?

Many thanks.

• Global Reach Shannon says:

@Paul, To register with AESDirect, you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. If you have permanent resident status, you will need to obtain an EIN (Employer Identification Number) from the IRS. You may also choose to select an authorized agent here in the U.S. to file on your behalf. Once your agent has submitted the necessary Electronic Export Information in the AES you will receive an Internal Transaction Number (ITN) verifying the submission. This ITN, as well as the vehicle’s Title and VIN, must be provided to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Port of Export 72 hours priors to exportation.

28. Barb says:

I have an EIN number and I went to the AES Direct Website to get an ITN# in order to export my car from the US to Canada. But I do not see anyplace where this number is generated? Can anyone tell me where to find this or how do I create this? I also noticed that when I created my AES account, it asked me to take a test? Is this necessary to simply export a car? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Global Reach Shannon says:

@Barb: In order to file your vehicle as an export in the AES, you are required to pass the Certification Quiz before using your AES account. Once you have passed the Certification Quiz and provide the required registration elements, you may submit the Electronic Export Information (EEI). If all the mandatory EEI was entered correctly, then you will receive your ITN by e-mail. Please feel free to call us at 800-549-0595, Option 3 with any further concerns.

29. Wilf says:

Does a US seller of a vehicle that is classified as vintage (25 years old or older ) need to obtain a EIN and file export info with AES

• Global Reach Shannon says:

@Wilf: Yes. All exports of used self-propelled vehicles require filing information in the Automated Export System (AES) prior to export. The US Principal Party in Interest (USPPI), primary benefactor of the export transaction in the US, must obtain an EIN or DUNS to complete the AES filing.

30. Bogumil Karas says:

Hi
    I am Canadian citizen who lived and worked in US (San Diego) for five years. I was working in nonprofit institute on TN visa. My employment ended on March 3rd 2015. I want to export my car ( i bought it in US in 2011) and I just found out about the AES system. My TN visa is still active (till 2017) but since my employment ended am I still consider resident of US now (in order to obtain the EIN) or will I need an agent?. The whole month of February I was employed but I was on vacations which I spent in Canada. I am going back next week to US and then I would like to export my car. I started to work on obtaining my EIN but most of the questions do not apply to me. I am confused how to proceed.

• Global Reach Shannon says:

@Bogumil: To register with AESDirect, you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. If you have permanent resident status, you will need to obtain an EIN (Employer Identification Number) from the IRS.​ You should contact the IRS directly regarding the application process. You may also choose to select an authorized agent here in the U.S. to file on your behalf. Once your agent has submitted the necessary Electronic Export Information in the AES you will receive an Internal Transaction Number (ITN) verifying the submission. This ITN, as well as the vehicle’s Title and VIN, must be provided to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Port of Export 72 hours priors to exportation.

31. Laurie says:

I can’t seem to get my Internal Transaction Number so do you know of a freight forwarded that would do the AES form for me so I get my ITN?
    I have phoned and got no where?

• Global Reach Shannon says:

@Laurie: If you are choosing to authorize an agent to file your Electronic Export Information (EEI) on your behalf, you can contact the International Trade Administration (ITA) at 1-800-872-8723 to find a US freight forwarder. Once you contact an agent and they submitted the required information in the Automated Export System (AES), they will provide you with the Internal Transaction Number (ITN).

32. Mark Adrian says:

I am a US Citizen moving to Canada this summer. We have two cars that need to be exported but both are financed. Does anyone know which banks issue the authorization letter to export the cars…. seem some are easier than others. Alternatively does anyone know of a Canadian bank that would take over or refinance these loans?

• Global Reach Stephen says:

@Mark: The Trade Regulations Branch provides guidance related to the Foreign Trade Regulations. Financing your vehicle and related questions are out of scope. You may want to contact a local or Canadian bank to explore your options.

33. your site is broken says:

I am a Canadian living in California.
    I’m moving back to Canada and am taking my motorcycle with me.
    Do I actually have to complete this QUIZ to file and receive a ITN?

• Global Reach Stephen says:

Good afternoon, you will need complete the Quiz to gain access to the AES and file your shipment. The quiz is built to help ensure users understand the regulations and uses of the Automated Export System.