By: Sean Kline
The Census Bureau just announced its Advanced Export Information (AEI) pilot program via a federal register notice. The AEI pilot is a voluntary program that enables U.S. Principal Parties in Interests (USPPIs) to obtain an Internal Transaction Number (ITN) after submitting a limited amount of data elements. This will allow companies to provide significantly less information before receiving an ITN. The USPPI then has five calendar days to submit the remaining Electronic Export Information (EEI).
What is Required Before Shipment Departure?
The goal of this program is to give participants added reported flexibility while providing the government with the information needed for cargo screening. Only the following data elements are required predeparture:
- USPPI Information
i. Name of the USPPI
ii. Address of the USPPI
iii. USPPI identification number
iv. Contact information
- Ultimate Consignee Information
- Commodity Classification Number
- Commodity Description
- Port of Export
- Date of Export
- Carrier Identification
- Conveyance Name/Carrier Name
- License Code/License Exemption Code
- Shipment Reference Number
Some elements will be required based on the conditions of each shipment. These are:
- Authorized agent’s identification number (if an authorized agent is filing)
- Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) (if shipment is non-licensable and postdeparture filing is specifically permitted)
How Can I Participate?
If you would like to take advantage of this new program, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a USPPI (sorry, no authorized agents)
- Have 12 months of export reporting history
- Report a minimum of ten shipments per month (we’ll consider seasonal exporters on a case-by-case basis)
- Have maintained an acceptable level of compliance over the past 12 months
- Be compliant with all other federal regulations related to international trade
Don’t Miss Out
In order to be considered for the AEI pilot program, read the AEI Pilot Application Process and Acceptance section in the federal register notice.
If you would like to find out more information, give us at call at 800-549-0595 Opt. 3.