- Global Reach Blog - http://globalreach.blogs.census.gov -

Trade Term: FILER ID

Posted By Global Reach Daniel On May 15, 2013 @ 9:10 am In Export Filing | 2 Comments

By: Eric Gauthier


What’s a FILER ID and why do you need it?

The Filer ID is the number that identifies a person or company certified to file in the AES. As mentioned in my previous post [2], knowing your Filer ID is important for you to correctly file shipments in AES and to reference when contacting us.

The Filer ID is usually an Employer Identification Number (EIN [3]) issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Some companies that export on behalf of other companies may also use identification numbers obtained from the Dun & Bradstreet company- “D-U-N-S numbers [4].”

Not sure what EIN [3] you used?

If you file shipments through AESDirect [5] or AESPcLink, the Filer ID is the EIN [3] you submitted in the registration form.

If you use software from a commercial vendor or an AES service center, the Filer ID is the EIN [3] reported in your AES Letter of Intent.

If an authorized agent files shipments on your behalf, the Filer ID is the agent’s EIN [3] or D-U-N-S number. If you need to find out about a shipment an agent filed on your behalf, you must submit a Data Request [6].


If you authorize an agent to file your shipment, the agent will do so under their own Filer ID (because that is linked to their account). If you have a question about the transaction and contact the FTD Call Center, you need to know their Filer ID or the ITN [7].

How to Locate:

AESDirect Filers:

  1. Log in to your account to go to the Main Menu.
  2. Locate the Account Summary section on the right of your screen.
  3. Click on My Company and your EIN [3] will show on-screen.


  1. You must log in to obtain this information.
  2. Go to the Tools Menu on the upper left corner of your screen.
  3. Click on Show Account Information and your EIN [3] will show onscreen.

Other Software Providers or Service Centers: contact your IT or Accounting department to find out your EIN [3].

(Visited 2,573 times, 1 visits today)

2 Comments (Open | Close)

2 Comments To "Trade Term: FILER ID"

#1 Comment By IRENE PODUFALY On January 31, 2014 @ 11:22 am

I am trying to do an international shipment through UPS (who has authority to be our agent) and it says I need to file my AES number or enter the ITN. I cannot log on as I cannot find the documentation for when the account was set up. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

#2 Comment By Global Reach Daniel On February 6, 2014 @ 7:55 am

If you cannot log into your UPS account, you will need to contact UPS directly for assistance.

Article printed from Global Reach Blog: http://globalreach.blogs.census.gov

URL to article: http://globalreach.blogs.census.gov/2013/05/15/trade-term-filer-id/

URLs in this post:

[1] Image: http://globalreach.blogs.census.gov/files/2013/05/EIN_identification.jpg

[2] my previous post: http://globalreach.blogs.census.gov/2011/08/09/tips-when-contacting-the-call-center/

[3] EIN: http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Employer-ID-Numbers-%28EINs%29-

[4] D-U-N-S numbers: http://www.dnb.com/get-a-duns-number.html

[5] AESDirect: http://www.aesdirect.gov

[6] Data Request: http://globalreach.blogs.census.gov/2013/02/27/compliance-and-confidentiality-acquiring-your-export-data/

[7] ITN: http://globalreach.blogs.census.gov/2012/05/30/itn-trade-term-of-the-month/