My Vacation in the Virgin Islands is Over. How Do I Declare My Goods?

Print This Post Print This Post

By: Clara Santiago

The Caribbean is an excellent place to spend the rainy days of spring. Don’t let your vacation be ruined by not being able to take your recently purchased goods with you!

If your shipment is leaving the U.S. Virgin Islands and coming back into the United States, what do you file and when? This will depend on the purpose and the value. Take a look at the table below for guidance.

Click here for more information

If your goods are moving from USVI to a foreign country then you must file in the Automated Export System (AES) all licensed commodities regardless of value and all commodities valued over $2,500 per Schedule B. However, if your commodity has a value of $2,500 or less, pursuant the Foreign Trade Regulations (FTR), you must declare that you are exempt from filing Electronic Export Information (EEI) in the AES by writing exemption legend “No EEI FTR 30.37(a)” on your shipping documents, which references the application section in the FTR.

Note: Rough diamonds shipments must be declared regardless of value.

For more information,  call the Foreign Trade Division at 1-800-549-0595 Option 3.

(Visited 1,974 times, 1 visits today)
This entry was posted in Foreign Trade Regulations and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to My Vacation in the Virgin Islands is Over. How Do I Declare My Goods?

  1. shelley says:

    FYI only the Customs forms were renamed about 10 years ago to CBP-7501 etc.

  2. mesin kemasan says:

    thanks for the info

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *