Dealing with Issues on a Standard Carrier Alpha Code (SCAC)

Print This Post Print This Post

By: Kenny Soo

Earlier in the year, a comment was made on “How to correct Fatal Error: 125 Conveyance Name Ineligible” about verifying a SCAC. I’m sure many of you have had an issue or question about a SCAC at one time or another. I’d just like to expand on Rosanna’s response to the comment.

If you are an exporter, you’ll need to provide a SCAC (Standard Carrier Alpha Code) when filing export information. Carriers must register with the National Motor Freight Traffic Association (NMFTA) in order to have a code in the Automated Export System (AES).

Rail Shipment Errors and Solutions with a Unknown or Invalid SCAC

If you file a shipment and the code you are using is not recognized, it could be one of the following:

1) The SCAC is a new code and has not been entered in to the AES.

To have it added to the AES, just have the carrier fax a copy of the letter from NMFTA stating that you have a valid SCAC.

The fax number is 301-763-8835.

Put it to the attention of the “AES Staff” with a subject line requesting to “Add SCAC to the AES.”

2) The SCAC has expired

The carrier needs to renew the SCAC. Contact the carrier and have them contact the NMFTA at 703-838-1822. For more information, visit NMFTA memberships.

3) Other

If your situation does not fit into either of these two categories, call AES at 1800 549 0595 Option #1 and speak to a representative. We’ll have to ask you some questions and look up some information.

Background on SCAC

The National Motor Freight Traffic Association maintains all SCAC codes. It is always in a 4 character format for Vessel, Rail, and Truck carriers. For more information, visit the National Motor Freight Traffic Association’s website on SCAC.

(Visited 1,887 times, 1 visits today)
This entry was posted in Export Filing and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Dealing with Issues on a Standard Carrier Alpha Code (SCAC)

1. Body Builder says:

Very Interesting!

2. cheese baskets says:

this is way over my head

3. nina says:

hello,
    i have a problem with my scac code. it is in deleted status with the CBP but when I called NMFTA, they said that everything is fine with the code. They also sent a letter to the CBP to update their system, and that the scac code is valid.

But still, we have a problem and we’re unable to process the paperwork for the load entering the US from Canada.

Please help, what to do? who to call?

Nina

4. Global Reach Rosanna says:

@ Nina Please fax a copy of the SCAC Code confirmation letter from NMFTA to 301-763-8835. We will let you know when it is updated in the system.

5. Alfonso says:

I’m moving to Italy on my own and need help with rules and regulations. I’m just shipping my personal things, you know…

Furniture
    Clothes
    Tools and machinery
    Complete Kitchen
    A car and a motorcycle
    A few firearms.

Nobody seems to have any solid matter of fact information. I don’t want to break any laws!

• Global Reach Daniel says:

@Alfonso,
      You have a wide variety of goods that you are shipping. As a consequence, some of these items may require an export license. I suggest calling the Regulations, Outreach and Education Branch for clarification on your filing requirements. They can be reached at 1-800-549-0595, option 3.