- Global Reach Blog - http://globalreach.blogs.census.gov -
Voluntary Self-Disclosures (VSD)
Posted By rosannatorres On June 25, 2010 @ 11:34 am In Foreign Trade Regulations | No Comments
By: Sean Kline
When is a VSD necessary?
The VSD process is designed for systematic errors rather than the occasional typographical error. For example, if you discover that you failed to file the Electronic Export Information (EEI) for a series of shipments, you should submit a VSD. It is important to know that the filer, whether it is the USPPI or the U.S. authorized agent, must ensure that the EEI is complete, accurate, and timely. It is also vital to keep your records current whether you are the party filing the EEI or providing the information that is filed. If you notice systematic errors in the information filed or information that was not filed for a series of shipments, submit a VSD.
Steps to Take When Submitting a VSD
1) Correct all erroneous records and file new records for any shipments that should have been filed.
2) Prepare documentation detailing each shipment in question with the Internal Transaction Number and value. Some companies find it convenient to submit this information in a spreadsheet format when multiple records are involved. For shipments with errors, you should also show the information that was originally filed and then the corresponding correction.
3) Provide all the information detailed in section 30.74 of the Foreign Trade Regulations which can be found on our website at www.census.gov/trade 
4) Mail to the below address found in section 30.74 or fax to, (301) 763-8835. Do not submit your VSD via e-mail.
Chief, Foreign Trade Division
U.S. Census Bureau
4600 Silver Hill Road, Room 6K032
Washington, DC 20233-6700
Voluntary self-disclosures can be a mitigating factor for civil penalties if Customs and Border Protection (CBP) or the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) determine that the USPPI, U.S. authorized agent and/or carrier should be fined or imprisoned for regulatory violations. Submitting a VSD is a great way to come into compliance with the Foreign Trade Regulations and will help you sleep easier. The last thing you want is an unexpected visit from a CBP officer!
If you have any questions or concerns please contact us at 1-800-549-0595 (option 3) or via email .
Article printed from Global Reach Blog: http://globalreach.blogs.census.gov
URL to article: http://globalreach.blogs.census.gov/2010/06/25/voluntary-selfdisclosures-vsd/
URLs in this post:
 www.census.gov/trade: http://www.census.gov/trade
 email: http://email@example.com
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share